[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:48:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>  I suppose you could theoretically go directly to each program supplier
>  and negotiate an individual deal, but I suspect they would simply
>  direct you to the "regular suspects".

I would think they may actually make more money selling to individual
people with the right equipment than wholesale pricing to the regular
suspects, but that's just my guess.

>  Why would they want to sell their products for less money and thus
>  hack off their biggest customers (the cable and satellite operators).

Same as above, I think the benefit is probably only ease of client.
If they have 3-5 clients whom they sell programming to, transactions
would be simple and probably be something like 2 year terms.  They
would probably make more money selling direct, but have a higher level
of involvement for the month-to-month costs and individual
transactions.

>  TANSTAAFL, with TV channels as in life in general.
>

>  beww

Indeed, I agree and I'm happy to pay for my lunch ;)  I'm also happy
to pay for my programming... that I watch.  I'd prefer to only pay for
what I use instead of getting 60 channels I don't watch, even if it's
not considerably cheaper.  There are a lot of reasons, but the first
that comes to mind is ease of "channel flipping".  Yeah, as a MythTV
user at home I never flip on the TV's I have my systems connected to.
But if I have a TV that doesn't yet have a MythTV frontend connected
then I have well over 100 channels that I flip through; most of them
are nothing I'm ever going to actually stop on; by only subscribing to
channels that play stuff I enjoy, I reduce the possibility of surfing
across 60 buy-me-now channels mixed in with crappy programming to find
a few shows I enjoy.

-Chad