[mythtv-users] Can only view some HD channels over Firewire, no SD (Charter cable in Mass)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:52:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>  >  >  >  On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>  >  >  >  > After a ton of help from this list, I formatted my FC8 box and dove
>  >  >  >  > head-first into Mythbuntu 7.10. I upgraded to MytTV 0.21 and (with
>  >  >  >  > some help from this list) got my HD over firewire working with my
>  >  >  >  > SA3250HD. HD via the broadcast networks works great, but the issue
>  >  >  >  > is that nothing else can get a signal lock. I'm running Charter
>  >  >  >  > cable in Massachusetts.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > Right now the only channels I can get are ABC HD, NBC HD, CBS HD and
>  >  >  >  > FOX HD. Everything else never gets past (L__) when trying to lock
>  >  >  >  > onto a channel. Before I chaulk it up to being Charter's fault, are
>  >  >  >  > there any tests I can try to make sure the issue isn't on my end?
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  Most likely those are the only channels Charter is sending as clear
>  >  >  >  QAM. This would be a typical situation.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  If you want to be absolutely sure you could get hold of a TV set with
>  >  >  >  a clear QAM demodulator and confirm that it only sees the same things,
>  >  >  >  or try a HDHR or other QAM capture device.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  This isn't necessarily an clear QAM issue - it's more than likely a 5C
>  >  >  encryption issue.  *Knock on wood* I get plenty of channels over
>  >  >  firewire that aren't 5C encrypted that I can't get through my
>  >  >  HDHomerun.  You may want to check the cable box settings to check the
>  >  >  5C settings per channel.
>  >
>  >  side note: currently the only channels sending 5C != 0 signal are the
>  >  movie channels(HBO, Showtime, etc), so you should be able to get all
>  >  the regular digital cable channels over firewire. PPV and the On
>  >  Demand stuff all have 5C set by the cable company so those will likely
>  >  be set to 2 or 3. If your cable company is changing the 5C signal of
>  >  the channels, I believe it is illegal and you should ask them nicely
>  >  to stop, and then read
>  >  http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-February/168117.html
>  >

>  What's funny is that one of my cable boxes has Cinemax free-to-copy,
>  and the other box doesn't.  Guess which one is hooked up to my
>  Mythbox...

that is strange, do both have the same software version running on it?
I know there was an older Motorola update that effectively broke the
5C stuff such that the cable company couldn't update the values, the
box should have been updated when they sent the last software update
out, possible that box isn't accepting updates for some reason?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!