[mythtv-users] MythTV backup

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:43:59 UTC 2008

>     I might even go so far as to say to have a complete spare machine.
>  I've setup my frontends with that in mind. For the two rooms I have
>  nearly identical machines. For the playroom it's not so critical but
>  it allows me to have a hot spare for the living room.

Having a second fronted is how I recovered the one time I had hardware
failure in the 4 years I have used myth. Since I already had mythtv
installed on the slave backend. I extracted the database backup which
at that time was automatically sent to the slave backend every night.
Then I stopped the services and ran mythtv-setup and I was back online
in less than 20 minutes. The slave backend already had a tuner
installed (ivtv card) so I did not have to deal with moving any
hardware.

John