[mythtv-users] visit from the cable guy

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Apr 2 17:25:55 UTC 2008

---Cable box is analog---

Yesterday the Time Warner cable guy had to come over to fix my cable.
Channels 14 to 99 on the cable box were snowey. Now i have an hd cable box,
and i thought that all the channels were digital, but i guess they are not.
He said that channels 14 to 99 are all analog, and no way of getting them in
digital.

I asked him well, what about your dvr's? Do they have an analog to digital
converter in them such as the pvr series many of us use? He said yes.

Has anyone else heard of this?

---Use Firewire to get all channels---

Also, he said he had hooked up a cable box directly to a customer's tv via
firewire. The customer then got all the channels he was paying for. I've
seen many myth users talk about how firewire for the most part is encrypted
(other than the local stuff).

Has anyone else heard of this one?

Just two strange things i was wondering about. I'm in southern california if
that helps.

-Steve