[mythtv-users] The Fit-PC: Too low-end for HD?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:05:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:

>  >You mean to say that a 900mhz celeron M processor can do HD? I find
>  >that very hard to believe
>  >-Steve
>  >

>  I've been doing some tests on the AppleTV under Linux using standard
>  generic build of mplayer. The AppleTV has a 1GHz pentium-m, nvidia
>  7300 chipset, and 256MB of RAM for basic specs.
>
>  mplayer -vo xv          -> 720p mpeg2 is fine
>  mplayer -vo xv          -> 1080i mpeg2 is fine but very close to
>  max'ing the cpu
>
>  mplayer -vo xvmc        -> 720p/1080i are fine, plenty of cpu headroom.
>
>  So given a 900MHz celeron (much smaller L2 cache, little slower
>  clock) I'd say it could do 720p but not 1080i with Xv and most likely
>  both 720p and 1080i if XvMC can be used.

This might be of interest to folks thinking about this stuff. Today
Phoronix announced a standardized test suite for Linux machines
released under GPL. I haven't looked at it in any depth yet but
possibly some sort of standardized way of testing some machines used
for Myth might give future guidance for what sort of machine specs get
what sort of performance?

Anyway, if it's interesting to anyone here is a link. I intend to test
our machines this weekend if I can get some free time.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12136
http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

Cheers,
Mark