[mythtv-users] visit from the cable guy

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Apr 2 18:06:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:25:55AM -0700, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> ---Cable box is analog---
>
> Yesterday the Time Warner cable guy had to come over to fix my cable.
> Channels 14 to 99 on the cable box were snowey. Now i have an hd cable box,
> and i thought that all the channels were digital, but i guess they are not.
> He said that channels 14 to 99 are all analog, and no way of getting them in
> digital.
>
> I asked him well, what about your dvr's? Do they have an analog to digital
> converter in them such as the pvr series many of us use? He said yes.
>
> Has anyone else heard of this?

Seems unlikely, but possible.

> ---Use Firewire to get all channels---
>
> Also, he said he had hooked up a cable box directly to a customer's tv via
> firewire. The customer then got all the channels he was paying for. I've
> seen many myth users talk about how firewire for the most part is encrypted
> (other than the local stuff).
>
> Has anyone else heard of this one?

Varies from cable company to cable company, and even
neighborhood to neighborhood. Since you have a FireWire output
now, why don't you hook it up and find out? If you don't have a
FW port, a PCI card will cost you less than $20.

-dsr-

--
Restore our Constitutional rights.