[mythtv-users] PVR500 Tuning

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 2 21:26:34 UTC 2008

Conrad wrote:
> Perhaps I'm using the term tuning improperly.  I really mean receiving a
> signal.
> I do own the breakout pannel for the PVR500. If I am correct, I believe
> that there is only one svideo output from the STB, will that be
> sufficient to send signals to both 'tuner' on the board.  If not how
> then do I get both 'tuners' to work?
> Thanks
Your STB has a single tuner in it so it can only send a single signal.
If you want to use a second input (not "tuner") on your PVR-500 card,
you will need a second STB to send the second signal.

You cannot use the coax connection on the PVR-500 card with Dish because
standard analog tuners cannot tune satellite signals - they require the
STB to decode the signal. If you had analog cable, you could plug it
directly into the PVR-500's coax connector (the tuner) and it could tune
two different signals (there's a splitter in the PVR-500 on the RF
connector to allow this). Maybe that's where you're getting confused.

-Brad