[mythtv-users] Video studder XvMC w/OSD

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 01:37:42 UTC 2008

Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-04 at 20:00 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

>>> This has nothing to do with the BIOS, it is the powersaving system that
>>> lowers the CPU clock. Look for cpufreq daemon.

>> If it were, cpufreq would be speeding things up, and that is a fairly old cpu,
>> and it pre-dates Intel putting speedstep on their desktop cpus, they only did
>> that very recently, and that cpu is not even a 64-bit capable cpu.
>>
>> And note that all of the p4 cpus that have speedstep have 2048mb of cache, he
>> has only 1024mb, so and all with speedstep also have 64 bit, and cpuinfo shows
>> that the processor is not capable of 64bit.
>
> Sorry to contradict you, but I have a 32bit only P4 3G that only has
> 1024 of cache (I don't remember if it has HT since I always switch that
> off), so very likely he has an identical CPU to mine and it has ability
> to change the speed. It may not be speedstep, but the frequency can be
> lowered and the CPU runs slower.

K,

There is only 2 ways to slow down those cpus (I forgot about the other one), one
is to change the bios clock multiplier, the other is to overheat them
(thermal_throttle) and it is automatic, and not controllable by the kernel (it
may be noted by some kernel/distributions).

Intel did not have any controllable powersaving features in those cpus, except
for the automatic thermal_throttling.

Check /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/thermal_throttle/count, if it is not 0 you
have been thermal throttled at least once.