[mythtv-users] Video studder XvMC w/OSD

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 02:17:47 UTC 2008

Mitch Gore wrote:
>> I know this isnt capable of any freq. scalling.  Loading the panel add-in
>> causes errors.  Also I am seeing the 2ghz speed on POST.  If POST gets the
>> value wrong there is no way for the OS to get it right.
>>
>> Im going to start on the BIOS.  Crossing my fingers this will help.
>> Hopefully allow me to wathc 1080i w/o XvMC.
>>
>> Mitchell
>>

> The motherboard is a Asus P4S8X-MX BIOS: 1001
>
> which appears to be the lastest BIOS.  Looking at the CPU support page
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4S8X-MX
> It apearrs the proc.  has been supports in ALL revision of the BIOS.  Maybe
> i need to give Asus a call.
>
> Mitchell

It is unlikely they will be much help with that old of MB, at best with a new
motherboard most are very difficult to deal with, with an old one they are
almost impossible to get to correct anything, they might give you a new bios
that they have that is not available on their web site, but is actually much
newer and could fix the issue.   Most of the MB companies have a "special" web
site with bios versions not found on their "official" web site.   Not sure
exactly what the point of them doing that was.

See bios -> advanced -> CPU settings

Check the ratio's, those are multiplied times the another counter, and determine
the cpu speed.   Once you have it set correctly it should stay set until you
lose/clear your bios settings.   Take 2000/(current_ratio) and that will equal
the current other counter, then calculate what ratio it will take to get the
proper 3.0 Ghz.

                               Roger

                                 Roger