[mythtv-users] Should I be switching to 0.21?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 03:12:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Frank Lynch <frank.lynch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >   Our backend machine is dying and I'm setting up new hardware. I'll
> > move the two existing PVR-150/250 to the new machine. My distro is
> > Gentoo. Should I be switching to mythtv-0.21 at this point? There is a
> > masked version in portage. Should I expect this version is actually
> > pretty stable at this point?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> >

> Hey Mark,
> I sounds a little odd that its still marked as masked in portage, it is the
> latest stable release of mythtv. I would recommend it - I just upgraded to
> it here on ubuntu gutsy & am happy thus far.
>  cheers,
> --Frank

Thanks

That's sort of the way Gentoo works. It will stay masked until some
number of days or weeks go by and the bug reports aren't serious.
since we build from source they are VERY good about getting stuff into
portage but generally take awhile to mark it as 'stable' since they
are not only marking the code stable but the ebuild and all of its
dependencies also.

I may be incorrect about Ubuntu but in the old days when I ran Fedora
there weren't as many library changes as we have on Gentoo. Apps were
built for a standard set that came with whatever version of Fedora I
was running. In Gentoo it's all very fluid.

Thanks for the info. I expect most folks here will suggest using it.
I'm also working on determining what kernel to run with this machine
so I've got to understand what my ivtv options are. My old server is
running a 2.6.20 kernel so I'll move to something more recent as I'm
doing this. A lot to get done this weekend.

Cheer,s
Mark