[mythtv-users] Advice on a silent PC/Mini ITX for DVI and DVB-T (maybe -S)

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:03:09 UTC 2008

> I think if I went the Mini ITX route, I'd stick with fanless boards
>  only - as the small speed increase for the fan ones probably doesn't
>  actually get you much anyway?
>
>   nick

Actually the processors are pretty resilient and the heat sinks pretty
small. With a bit of
imaginative selection of heatsinks you could get one of the fanned
ones running fanless very easily. I used to run my 800mhz C3 (normally
fanned) with a Zalman Northbridge heatsink with no problems.
However as you say, unless you really want the small size the
performance probably isn't worth it UNLESS...... you are bothered
about power consumption.... if you want an always on box power
consumption can make a difference. At todays prices 1W of power
consumption running all year = 1pound of electricity. So that 80W mega
box costs 80quid a year to run, not much but maybe if you can save 60
quid in electricity you can spend it on something else.

Cheers

Steve