[mythtv-users] black screen after playing once Ubuntu 8.04 Beta/Nvidia

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:11:50 UTC 2008

On 03/04/2008, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, if I watch a
> recording or a video with the Internal player right after launching
> mythtvfrontend, it works every time (this machine is also my desktop; I run
> dual heads and watch on one screen while doing other stuff on my primary
> screen).  However, when I finish watching the first video, if I go to open
> anohter, I get the black screen, every time it seems. I have perfect audio,
> but no video.  To solve the problem, I have to restart X
> (ctrl-alt-backspace).  I can open several files in succession using mplayer
> or VLC; this problem seems to be induced by Myth only.
>
> I'm running the proprietary Nvidia driver on my GeForce 7900GT, version
> 196.12 with the 2.6.24 kernel.  The machine has a Pentium D CPU and 3GB of
> DDR2 667 memory.

It's a 'feature' that ships with the 169.xxx series of nvidia drivers
(and maybe 171.xxx) when using the opengl video renderer. I'm working
on it but haven't found a fix yet (though it could just be a bug in
the drivers).

Either try and roll back to an older nvidia driver or adjust your
playback profiles so that opengl isn't selected.

regards

Mark

(P.S. disregard everything above if you're not using the opengl renderer!)