[mythtv-users] PVR500 Tuning

Joel Means means.joel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:45:52 UTC 2008

As a fellow Dish user, I may be able to help a little here.  The dual
tuner dish receivers do have two independent outputs.  You can hook up
the s-video to your PVR500 (along with the audio) to record the TV1
signal.  Then hook up the TV2 composite output (along with audio) to
the breakout cable.  On the Dish Receiver (I don't know if you have
the Vip622 or 722, but the only difference is hard drive size) you can
select one of two different output modes.  "Single" mode outputs the
same signal to TV1 and TV2, allowing for Picture-in-Picture.  "Dual"
mode allows independent viewing on TV1 and TV2.  The only possible
problem that I can see (and I have wondered about this but never
checked it) is that the remote control for TV2 uses UHF (so your
second tv can be in another room).  I don't know if it also uses IR in
case you are in the same room.  If it only uses UHF, you won't be able
to change channels on the TV2 output using an IR blaster (which is
necessary on Dish STB's).  I hope this helps a bit.
Joel