[mythtv-users] Should I be switching to 0.21?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Apr 3 16:54:07 UTC 2008

>I'm also holding off in the hopes that the issues with excessive CPU
>usage that keep being reported here will be fixed.
>
>I'll probably do what I usually do with Windows, and wait for the .1
>release. ;)

David, it's been my experience that the reason for the extra cpu usage is
because the playback profiles give a higher quality playback. I was using a
different deinterlacer on my mythbox with version 0.20.2, and my playback
was not as smooth. I now use Yadif 2X, which I think is supposed to be the
most cpu intensive, and during playback, my cpu is now at around 13% for SD
Playback. It was at 10% before using kernel for deinterlacing. If I go back
to kernel now on my 0.21 system, it goes backt o 10% cpu usage for playback.

I wonder if many people are saying they're seeing higher cpu usage but are
not realizing that the playback profiles may be the reason. This is an
improvement in my opinion because better playback is worth a few percentage
points of cpu usage.

-Steve