[mythtv-users] Should I be switching to 0.21?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:41:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <
steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> >I'm also holding off in the hopes that the issues with excessive CPU
> >usage that keep being reported here will be fixed.
> >
> >I'll probably do what I usually do with Windows, and wait for the .1
> >release. ;)
> >
> >____________________________________________
>

> David, it's been my experience that the reason for the extra cpu usage is
> because the playback profiles give a higher quality playback. I was using
> different deinterlacer on my mythbox with version 0.20.2, and my playback
> was not as smooth. I now use Yadif 2X, which I think is supposed to be the
> most cpu intensive, and during playback, my cpu is now at around 13% for
> SD
> Playback. It was at 10% before using kernel for deinterlacing. If I go
> back
> to kernel now on my 0.21 system, it goes backt o 10% cpu usage for
> playback.
>
> I wonder if many people are saying they're seeing higher cpu usage but are
> not realizing that the playback profiles may be the reason. This is an
> improvement in my opinion because better playback is worth a few
> percentage
> points of cpu usage.
>
> -Steve

I believe I have matched my settings on .21 to those I used on .20.2 and I
use more cpu than I did before.  That was achieved by adding a simple
playback group that includes only one setting, which is to use XVMC,
openGL/openGL for the OSD, and no deinterlacer.  All SD.  That's how I ran
for months on .20.2 and there was no trouble at all, and now that I run that
way on .21, my CPU usages is up 10-20 percent (the difference between smooth
playback, quick channel changes, and smooth OSD to skipping playback, slow
channel changes, jittery OSD on my 1.7ghz P4 frontend).

I wish I could compare my two systems side-by-side, but I'm not going to
revert to .20.2 just for the test.

The strange thing is I have an eMac that I switched from running OS X to
Debian that seems to perform much better on .21 than it did with .20.2.  I'm
thinking about trying that switch on my P4 frontend just to see what happens
there.