[mythtv-users] Questions about new hardware purchase

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 20:32:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Fred Firestine <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Here are my current picks. Current total is $499 before tax and
>  shipping. Hmm, nice round number, but too high? I would like to save
>  about $60 by using a processor with a slower FSB but higher clock
>  speed. What do you think? Note that I am adding a third capture card.
>
>  Fred
>
>  Shopping list:
>
>  Motherboard: Intel BLKDG965RYCK $100.00 3 PCI slots + FW need COM port
>  1066/800 FSB
>
>  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813121049
>
>  Case: $60.00    Many include 400W PS for this price
>
>  CPU:    Core 2 Duo E2220 (2.4 GHz 880 MHz FSB)  $95.00  heatsink/fan included
>
>  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116070&Tpk=E2220

Howdy Fred,

To play back all formats of HD (high frame rate H.264 or VC-1 with
lots of motion), everything I've read leads me to believe that a C2D
needs to be in the 2.8 to 3.0 GHz range, or you need hardware decoding
assistance.  The 965 may provide a small amount of decoding
assistance, but I'll bet not enough to get you over the hump.   If
you're going to be using the machine to encode or transcode at the
same time as watching TV, you'll probably need a lot more power.

Considering that the Core 2 Duo's overclock so easily, my preference
would be to get a motherboard that you can do a mild overclock with
and save a few dollars by getting a slightly less expensive processor
(2.0 or 2.2GHz).

I'm sure you could get a thousand opinions on this topic!

   Marc