[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 18:03:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> Scot Cornell wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 4, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Jeff Clark wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> > <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> > Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> > Matt Emmott wrote:
> > Looks like it finally exists. I'll be pre-ordering soon!
> >
> > http://brentevans.blogspot.com/2008/04/hauppauge-hd-pvr-photos.html
> >
> > I will be interested to see if it has Linux support
> > Oh, good. I didn't think anyone here would be interested in that. I hope
> > they're ready for the onslaught of pre-orders.
> >

> > So would this take the place of a mythbox or work with one?
> >
> > It's a capture device that connects to a computer.
> > It won't work with Myth at all until there is a confirmed working Linux
> > driver and support is explicitly added into MythTV.
> >
> > My hope is that it is released with a working Linux driver and support
> > is added relatively quickly and backported to 0.21 so I don't have to
> > move off packages and back onto SVN again to get this working ASAP.
> > These are just hopes, of course. ;)
> >
> > -Brad
> >
> > How does it connect to computer. USB?
>
> I'm reading the same info you are, but it looks like yes, USB. It
> doesn't store anything on the unit itself as was suggested by a previous
> post on this thread. It takes in component video, real-time compresses
> using h.264 and spits it back over the USB port.
>
> It's got optical audio in port for combining with the component video in
> the process.
>
> It also has an irblaster port for changing channels on a STB and another
> set of component outputs presumably for hooking directly to your TV so
> you can view the video without it being captured/compressed, but still
> passing through the device.
>
> -Brad

So is this thing a tuner, or would you use another tuner (like a set-top
box) to feed feed it input via the component out from your external device,
and the Hauppauge HD-PVR just outputs the stream to the USB port?  I guess
that leads to the question could you control it via the USB port (if it is a
tuner), or is the USB strictly for sending data TO the computer it's
connected to?