[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Apr 4 18:26:13 UTC 2008

Josh White wrote:

> So is this thing a tuner, or would you use another tuner (like a set-top
> box) to feed feed it input via the component out from your external
> device, and the Hauppauge HD-PVR just outputs the stream to the USB
> port?  I guess that leads to the question could you control it via the
> USB port (if it is a tuner), or is the USB strictly for sending data TO
> the computer it's connected to?

There's no tuner. It's a capture device, not a tuning device. You
connect the component cables from your STB to it. Plug in the IR
blaster. Plug in the USB cable. Wait for some magic to happen in the
MythTV code to support all this stuff. Add it as another capture device
in mythtv-setup. Then when it wants to record, a channel change script
you set up that tells the device "I want channel 207." The device blasts
the command "207<enter>" to the STB. It starts capturing video/audio,
sends it h.264 compressed via USB to mythbackend which happily stores it
on disk for you just like any other capture device.