[mythtv-users] Mythtv recording filesystem (sata) goes read only

spectro spectro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:02:37 UTC 2008

>  The symptom is that Linux reports (in dmesg) that the drive has
>  experienced an ext3 journal error and it remounted it in read-only
>  mode.  What gets logged is:
>  Apr  3 16:55:03 mythtv1 kernel: ata4.00: status: { DRDY }
>  Apr  3 16:55:03 mythtv1 kernel: ata4: soft resetting link
>  Apr  3 16:55:03 mythtv1 kernel: ata4.00: configured for UDMA/33
>  Apr  3 16:55:03 mythtv1 kernel: ata4: EH complete

I had the same issue and after some digging I recall it had something
to do with VIA hardware, and something in the kernel related to ext3
over LVM. I can't recall if I ever fixed it. I think it was one of the
reasons I bought another controller and switched to xfs.

Anyway, there is a mount option you can put in fstab to prevent it
from remounting read-only as a workaround. It is a dangerous one
thought. I don't have it handy since I'm at work, check mount options
for ext3.