[mythtv-users] HD PVR: What does "13.5 Mbps" mean?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 14:36:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  h.264 files it spits out? If the former, what does this imply about
>  the device's ability to properly capture the full breadth of 1080i
>  19.39Mbps input?[1] If the latter, is a 13.5Mbps h.264 recording
>  really sufficient to capture the full quality of 19.39Mbps MPEG-2?[2]
[snip]

I've always thought that any recompression is never really sufficient
to capture the full quality of the source.  However, h.264 usually
carries the same quality at lower bitrates, so I could see 13.5Mbps
still looking very good for anything coming out of your cable box.
I'm not sure how bad that would compare to Bluray source, as I don't
own a player yet.

- Willy