[mythtv-users] A MythTV backup proposal

David Segall david at segall.net
Sat Apr 5 14:41:09 UTC 2008

I recently posted on the subject of MythTV backup
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/327389#327389> and
received responses advocating everything from enterprise level backup
and servers to "it's only TV".  I found the former too expensive and the
latter barely credible from anyone who expends the effort maintaining a
MythTV system and following this mailing list.

The backup of operating system and database data is assumed and well
covered in the MythTV Wiki. I want to ensure that my backup also
includes recorded TV to the extent I can afford. I would like a script
that copies the recorded TV using the available backup space and
following exactly the same rules as my MythTV setup would use if it had
the same amount of space. That implies that if a program has been
deleted it would also be deleted from the backup. I would probably also
want to exclude some news programs that I only record in case something
interesting happens.

I would be interested in your opinions. For example, would you change
MythTV's expiry rules if you had substantially more, or less, disk space?

--
David