[mythtv-users] MythTV for iPhone

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 17:03:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:

>  Will your web app be capable of transcoded streaming?
>
>  mpeg2 and greater than 720p are going to need to be reduced down to
>  something the iPhone/iPod Touch can handle. A native app is going to
>  be limited in video formats and resolutions so it seems that a web
>  app might be more versatile as it could easily handle any realtime
>  transcoding required through a beefy backend.
>
>  If you want a guinea pig for testing before release, I'm game.

I have pre-transcoded video from mpeg2 to quicktime mp4 for the
iPhone/iPod. There is a live demo on the website
http://chriscarey.com/projects/mythtv/iphone/ that you can try.

We have yet to get transcode on-the-fly working to handle Live TV (and
eliminating the need for pre-transcoding for recorded shows). On my
hardware, it takes appx 1 hour to transcode 1 hour of video. Like you
said, a beefy backend, or big butt - as we like to refer to them in
the industry, would be needed.