[mythtv-users] HDTV setup : DVI to HDMI, sound how? (aka, confused in general about sound output)

Dan Wierenga dwierenga at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 22:13:42 UTC 2008

So I saw on another thread that people recommended using this
card<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121019>for
DVI => HDMI output.  That sounds good to me, as I've spent more than I
bargained for setting up my soon-to-be-MythTV box already.

Using that card and a DVI to HDMI cable, how do I get sound out to my TV in
the HDMI audio?  Can I use the normal onboard sound card to output to the
HDMI audio inputs?  Are their cables I can buy to do that?  Or do I need
some kind of sound card specifically for the job?

I've got one open PCI slot which is going to go for the DVI card, and my
tuner card (a brand new pcHDTV 5500) and the firewire card is using the 2
AGP slots... and that's all I've got.  If I need a specialized soundcard
then the firewire card would have to go.  That wouldn't be terrible but I'm
not exactly eager for it either.

Thanks,
Dan