[mythtv-users] HDTV setup : DVI to HDMI, sound how? (aka, confused in general about sound output)

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 5 23:23:50 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 April 2008 08:13:42 Dan Wierenga wrote:

> Using that card and a DVI to HDMI cable, how do I get sound out to my TV in
> the HDMI audio?  Can I use the normal onboard sound card to output to the
> HDMI audio inputs?  Are their cables I can buy to do that?  Or do I need
> some kind of sound card specifically for the job?

Its going to depend on your TV. I have a similar setup - DVi - HDMI and no
sound via HDMI obviously. However my TV (Panasonic) also has VGA in and an
associated pair of RF plugs for stero input. Plugging my Audio cards into
those provided stero sound with the HDMI input.

Alternatively you can input your sound to a external amp/stereo.

--
Lindsay