[mythtv-users] hdhomerun lost stream from mythtv

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:33:07 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> How are you connecting your backend to the hdhomerun? It might be
>>> beneficial to structure your network in such a way that there is little
>>> between your HDHomeRun and your backend. For instance, I have those two
>>> things on the same switch which then plugs into the main network switch.
>>> I've also had it set up so the HDHomeRun plugs directly into a second
>>> ethernet port on my backend to minimize network troubles between the two.

>> Unfortunately, I can't make any network isolation changes at this point.
>>    The HDHomerun is in the basement and the myth frontend/backend is
>> next to the tv.  Also, there isn't room for additional cards in the
>> backend.   I'll have to think about my options in that regard.
>>
>> Separate from any hardware changes, is there something I can tweak from
>> myth or the linux kernel?  Are you saying that network issues *will*
>> cause the problem I am seeing?
>
> I'm saying I've never had that problem or heard of a problem where the
> stream goes away so I'm guessing there is some network anomaly that is
> causing it.
>
> I have seen this behavior when my NFS mount decided to go away on me, so
> it sounds reasonable that momentarily dropping network would cause your
> symptoms as well.

If you use a high percentage of the servers ability, you likely will get network
slowdowns that will cause issues with applications needing a consistent rate.

What kind of network does the server have, and what kind of network is it
running into?  (100mbit, 1Gbit?).

Things that you could do:

Add a network card (as already mentioned)
Move to a Gbit network (if it is only 100Mbit).
Find what process is causing the issue, and slow it down.

I don't have a HDHomerun, but I have a mvpmc frontend box, and if I don't limit
the speed of copies and rsyncs those copies and rsyncs cause stuttering on the
mvpmc box, and I would expect the HDHomerun to not be very tolerant of that
behavior.   And it only takes a single copy/rsync to cause a significant amount
of stuttering.

                                Roger