[mythtv-users] Mac mini, ubuntu, IR remotes

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 21:55:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Shaun Lowry <shaun at lowry.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have a mac mini running Ubuntu & MythTV.  I've read several rumours
>  that the built-in IR receiver can handle alternate remote controls but
>  no actual confirmation.  I have the dev/input driver for the ir
>  receiver in the kernel and that seems to be working OK.  It appears
>  that the input-utils can't reconfigure the keymap for this device but
>  I've managed  to sort of get it going with xmodmap.  Problem is, 6
>  keys aren't really enough to drive MythTV comfortably, I figure I need
>  at least up, down, left, right, Esc, P and M (7 keys) and would prefer
>  Enter and a numberpad too.
>
>  Has anyone actually got the built in receiver working with an
>  alternate remote control, and if so, which one and how?
>
>         Shaun.
I use a Harmony learning IR remote with my mini- I'm able to use 36
different keys.  The trick would be getting lirc to recognize more
than one instance of the Apple remote.  By holding down the Apple
remote's play and pause keys simultaneously for several seconds, you
change the remote's ID, and therefore it's IR code base.  If you can
get lirc to recognize the different instances of the Apple remote ID,
you should be able to map as many buttons as you want.