[mythtv-users] Deleting recordings from playlist does not work when file is missing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 7 14:47:14 UTC 2008

On 04/07/2008 08:44 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2008/4/6, Michael T. Dean:
>
>> On 04/06/2008 11:17 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
>>  > Is this a bug? Should Delete in the playlist's menu also delete
>>  > recordings which do not have files any more? Or am I maybe only one
>>  > who gets this error?
>>

>>  Perhaps I'll just write some code for Myth to take care of this for you
>>  (find and allow delete of recordings whose files are missing).  That
>>  would solve two problems--make it easy to delete missing recordings
>>  without hitting the DB directly, and get rid of the legacy
>>  myth.find_orphans.pl script (which hasn't been converted to use the Perl
>>  bindings).  It's on my list.
> Thanks for the update on this. I already deleted most of the files
> without typing or clicking. I gave my 9 year old nephew the remote in
> the hand, explained him how to delete everything and I bought him ice
> cream after that :).

Now that's a good way to do it.

> I did not want to run myth.find_orphans.pl because I was not totally
> sure about compatibility with 0.21-fixes. I did not want to leave some
> other orphanages in the tables.

Yeah.  It probably would have worked, but--as you may have noticed--I'm
not a big fan of that script since no one took the time to modify it to
use the Perl bindings during the long period between 0.20 (whose
bindings weren't useful enough) and 0.21.  Therefore, it's possible that
it has bugs that have since been fixed in the bindings (not to mention
the huge number of features it's lacking that the bindings would give it
for free--things like automatically determining backend/DB info, etc.).

> I saw your answer too late and I already created a ticket for this
> issue, because it looked like a bug for me:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5174

Yeah.  I noticed that.  I'll see if I can get a ticket up there before
too long that includes a patch so that it can actually be incorporated.

Rather than use the move-to-playlist-and-delete-playlist approach (which
requires the user to know what files are missing), I plan to implement
it to automatically search for all of the files and come up with its own
list of recordings.  Then, a user can go through them deleting them
one-by-one or select a "Delete All" or "Delete All and Allow
Re-record."  And, while I'm in there, I may have it detect files in the
directories that aren't supposed to be there.

I'm in the middle of 5 weeks of travel (and still have to finish a
pretty major patch I was working on), so it will be a while, but I plan
to have this on Trac in time to be incorporated for 0.22.

Mike