[mythtv-users] Recording Using Guide on Sat Box without IR Blaster Installed

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Mon Apr 7 17:47:11 UTC 2008

>> I have just set up my subscription to Schedules Direct and have ordered
>> an
>> IR Blaster and some other goodies to finish up my Myth plan.  Take note
>> that I've been using various Myth releases for at least two years
>> already
>> so I'm used to how things are set up.  Up till now I've been managing
>> all
>> recordings manually.  My current release is SVN Version 0.21.20071211-1
>> 15258.  I am using a Bell Expressvu Satellite 3100 Box (like DirecTV).
>> For now I wanted to just use the scheduler in Myth to assist with
>> recording at the right time and capturing show info.  I am manually
>> programming the satellite box to auto-tune to the correct channel at the
>> times associated with my recordings.  I've set up the tuner card in
>> mythtv-setup to the channel 4 preset that I require (coax input).  I am
>> able to watch live TV.  For some reason the recordings set up using the
>> guide fail.  When I look in the channel editor it is populated with my
>> proper list that is in Schedules Direct.  Does myth require something to
>> be in the field that is used by the IR Blaster to change the channels?
>> have left this blank for now.
>>
>> Any theories?
>> Scott
>

> Yes, you'll have to add something in the "external channel change script"
> line depending on how you set your blaster up.
>
> I have no idea what that should actually be since I'm still working on
> getting my blaster to work, but here's a guide that may help you if you
> haven't seen it yet:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV

Actually the field you mentioned "external channel change script" is the
one that I am leaving blank for now.  What I want to know is if I can make
things work without the blaster and still take advantage of the schedule
info to make the recording setup easier than doing it manually.  I am
aware that I still need to adjust my satellite box manually.  Right now my
recordings are failing and I don't know why.

Scott