[mythtv-users] HDTV setup : DVI to HDMI, sound how? (aka, confused in general about sound output)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:22:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Dan Wierenga <dwierenga at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I saw on another thread that people recommended using this card for DVI
> => HDMI output.  That sounds good to me, as I've spent more than I bargained
> for setting up my soon-to-be-MythTV box already.
>
> Using that card and a DVI to HDMI cable, how do I get sound out to my TV in
> the HDMI audio?  Can I use the normal onboard sound card to output to the
> HDMI audio inputs?  Are their cables I can buy to do that?  Or do I need
> some kind of sound card specifically for the job?
>
> I've got one open PCI slot which is going to go for the DVI card, and my
> tuner card (a brand new pcHDTV 5500) and the firewire card is using the 2
> AGP slots... and that's all I've got.  If I need a specialized soundcard
> then the firewire card would have to go.  That wouldn't be terrible but I'm
> not exactly eager for it either.

you'll need a soundcard with SPDIF output header pins that you can
then connect to a corresponding pair of SPDIF input header pins on the
video card. *BOTH* cards have to have said pins for this to work. From
what I understand no drivers are needed to support this, or they
already do it in the "background".

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!