[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Apr 7 18:31:36 UTC 2008

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>  > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
>>  > <steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
>>  >>  >>> Then when it wants to record, a channel change script you set up
>>  >>  >>> that tells the device "I want channel 207."
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  What would be really nice if if you could tell the hd-pvr somehow whether to
>>  >>  record in 480p, 720p or 1080i. Even better would be if it could figure it
>>  >>  out for you. But I think that part might not happen seeing that it's analog.
>>  >>
>>  >>  -Steve
>>  >
>>  > I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do this, a TV can detect what
>>  > the signal is this should be able to do the same and encode the signal
>>  > digitally at the proper resolution instead of "converting" it to
>>  > something else.
>>
>>  It does 1080i or 720p.
>>

>>  >
>>  > What *would* be cool is if it could convert interlaced to progressive
>>  > in hardware before encoding so 1080i signals would encode as 1080p....
>>
>>  Because you want to trust someone else to decide which deinterlacer is
>>  best for your needs? ok....
>
> Ah, who says you wouldn't be able to pass an encoding option to tell
> it what type of deinterlacer to use? Plus, for 1080i you'll pretty
> much always want to use a IVTC, followed by a smart frame deinterlacer
> (which will 99% of the time not have any work to do if the original
> telecine is properly done). For 480i material a simple smart frame
> deinterlacer should be more than sufficient. If you pay attention to
> the doom9 forums you'll see they have a few "favorite" deinterlacing
> methods they use, all of which can easily be implemented by a DSP and
> the firmware and then selectable by the user.

I still prefer to leave the deinterlacing up to the person viewing it
and not be confined to hardware limitations. I used to think Linear was
ok until I started using Yadif. It would suck to not have that option
now when the next best deinterlacer comes out.

>>  > What would also be cool is a dual encoder version (ala PVR-500)....
>>  >

>>  Buy two. ;)
>
> haha, touche. but seriously.... extra power, extra shelf space, etc.
> The HD-Homerun could have been a single tuner device too with the "buy
> two" option. even the PVR-500 did not have to exist. But why not lower
> the footprint and include two devices in one box, sharing one power
> supply, one USB cable, etc.

Maybe one day. For now, I'm buying 1. If it works out, I'll buy another.
I look forward to getting all my capture cards out of my mythtv box and
moving to a MUCH smaller form-factor frontend/backend box.

-Brad