[mythtv-users] Xen and Mythtv and Mysql

Jeppe N. Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Mon Apr 7 18:33:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Chris Isip wrote:

>  How safe is it to use xen virtual machines to run mysql, mythtv,
>  etc.  I am building my new mythtv server and have just started
>  tinkering with this.  I am thinking of running mysql in a 10 GB vm
>  with 1000 megs of ram, mythtv in a 5 GB vm with 500 megs of ram
>  with CentosPlus in LVM ext3 and swap.  I will be running other
>  servers as well but those two are the ones relevant to this list.
>  Has anyone tried this and if you have, what are your experiences as
>  far as stability and what disk space and ram considerations do you
>  recommend.  I will be running Centos Plus.

I too am trying to do this. I've successfully run an experimental
setup using Debian Etch and a Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T tuner. I could
scan, watch and record TV with no problem. Did not try a long running
test. I'm currently building the "production" setup which will replace
a 0.20 server with an IVTV tuner. I'll probably wait some time
before retiring the old server :-)

No real problems, but a lot of small issuess a long the way. I did
choose to run mysql and mythtv in the same DomU.

/Jeppe