[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:48:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
>  > On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Brad DerManouelian
>  > <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>  >> Steven Adeff wrote:
>  >>  > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
>  >>  > <steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
>  >>  >>  >>> Then when it wants to record, a channel change script you set up
>  >>  >>  >>> that tells the device "I want channel 207."
>  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  What would be really nice if if you could tell the hd-pvr somehow whether to
>  >>  >>  record in 480p, 720p or 1080i. Even better would be if it could figure it
>  >>  >>  out for you. But I think that part might not happen seeing that it's analog.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  -Steve
>  >>  >
>  >>  > I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do this, a TV can detect what
>  >>  > the signal is this should be able to do the same and encode the signal
>  >>  > digitally at the proper resolution instead of "converting" it to
>  >>  > something else.
>  >>
>  >>  It does 1080i or 720p.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  > What *would* be cool is if it could convert interlaced to progressive
>  >>  > in hardware before encoding so 1080i signals would encode as 1080p....
>  >>
>  >>  Because you want to trust someone else to decide which deinterlacer is
>  >>  best for your needs? ok....
>  >
>  > Ah, who says you wouldn't be able to pass an encoding option to tell
>  > it what type of deinterlacer to use? Plus, for 1080i you'll pretty
>  > much always want to use a IVTC, followed by a smart frame deinterlacer
>  > (which will 99% of the time not have any work to do if the original
>  > telecine is properly done). For 480i material a simple smart frame
>  > deinterlacer should be more than sufficient. If you pay attention to
>  > the doom9 forums you'll see they have a few "favorite" deinterlacing
>  > methods they use, all of which can easily be implemented by a DSP and
>  > the firmware and then selectable by the user.
>
>  I still prefer to leave the deinterlacing up to the person viewing it
>  and not be confined to hardware limitations. I used to think Linear was
>  ok until I started using Yadif. It would suck to not have that option
>  now when the next best deinterlacer comes out.

how about this, you could disable it ;-)
(ie, different users, different needs)

>  >>  > What would also be cool is a dual encoder version (ala PVR-500)....
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  Buy two. ;)
>  >
>  > haha, touche. but seriously.... extra power, extra shelf space, etc.
>  > The HD-Homerun could have been a single tuner device too with the "buy
>  > two" option. even the PVR-500 did not have to exist. But why not lower
>  > the footprint and include two devices in one box, sharing one power
>  > supply, one USB cable, etc.
>
>  Maybe one day. For now, I'm buying 1. If it works out, I'll buy another.
>  I look forward to getting all my capture cards out of my mythtv box and
>  moving to a MUCH smaller form-factor frontend/backend box.

agreed, I'll end up buying one as well and grouping it with one of my
firewire connected cable boxen to grab the channels I can't get over
firewire.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!