[mythtv-users] A/V Receivers & MythTv

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 7 20:43:02 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> with the recent release of MythTv .21 and in an effort to help our
> flagging economy ;)  i'm in the process of upgrading my entire
> 'entertainment center'.  one of the big components i'll be upgrading
> is my A/V Receiver.  at the moment, the Denon 3808CI is the front
> runner.  i'm just curious to see what other Mythers use and why.  i
> haven't found a receiver yet that will take input/commands via any
> input aside from the remote.  the Denon has an RJ45 ethernet jack on
> it, as do other receivers; has anyone been able to get their receiver
> to change sound fields, presets, volume, etc. via RJ45?  it would be
> quite cool to use LIRC/Myth to control the whole ball of wax.

Check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970265

I use a Onkyo TX-SR805.  I haven't had any major problems with it.  It
does mute for 1-2 sec when changing from ProLogic to DolbyDigital or any
similar change, but I've gotten used to this.  There is new firmware on
the way that should fix this and tighten up some lip sync issues.

But beyond those two small items I have high praise for this unit.  When
I purchased it early this year I boycotted Denon because of the piece of
!@#$% AVR-3300 that I was replacing.

Jon