[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Apr 7 21:54:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:23:06PM -0500, Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Mario Limonciello <mario.mailing at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> > > So I finally got a Firewire card to test with the Motorola 6200...  It
> > > works decently, except that stupid Time Warner has marked dang near
> > > everything with the no copy or copy once flag so I can't record much of
> > > anything.
> > >
> > > I can understand the movie channels, but Noggin?  Seriously?!

   Man that's low. That's basically PBS. It's not even the History Channel
or Food Network.

[deletia]

> I'm in the Dallas area, and I gave up, returned my receivers and lowered my
> tier to analog only.  I'm closely watching the new Hauppage devices.  At
> $250 each, I'm not sure if I'd get them or not.  For $250, I'm most of the
> way to a Tivo with a couple cable cards...

    Yeah but with a Tivo you are stuck storing really large MPEG2 files.
That's going to wipe out your storage fast. This will be the case even
with the decked out Weaknees unit, never even mind a stock Tivo.

    Have you seen the size of some of the files that an OTA capture can
generate? Even with compression they are rather huge.

    Having old style S1 compression really is a dramatic advantage over
any other newer sort of Tivo.