[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Apr 8 01:31:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips at gmx.net> wrote:

>  So put two DSPs on a single PCB.  That's what the PVR 500 does and probably
>  (I haven't peeked inside) what the HDHR does.  No one says they have to use
>  a single DSP to do it.  Anyone have an idea of what the cost of the DSP
>  they're using is?  I don't imagine the DSP is the whole $250.  Even if the
>  chip was $50, that's still a $350 price point, or slightly more, to put two
>  devices in the same footprint.  If it needed to be slightly larger, so be
>  it, but I doubt it would have to double in size and price just because it
>  required another DSP.
>
>  I could be wrong though as I don't actively price DSPs...

You're not wrong on the price of DSP's.  Not exactly what you're
talking about, but in the ball park:

http://www.almipa.com/products/adv-500/ (media playback device which
decompresses H.264/VC1/MPEG-2) uses this $40 to $60 TI DSP:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm642.html

Having said that, the PVR 500 doesn't use DSP's - it uses the Conexant
CX23416: http://www.conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=120
which is $21 in 10k units (or rather, was that price in 2002 - I'd
hope their price has come down some since then).

I see that Scott has responded about Ambarella and addressed dedicated
silicon, so I'll stop there (BTW, I use FPGA's to do high speed
designs as well).

   Marc