[mythtv-users] Is this beefy machine really not enough to drive HD at 1080p?

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Tue Apr 8 05:03:14 UTC 2008

Scott Harris wrote:
> mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -lavdopts fast:skiploopfilter=all  -vo xv
> I don't get the error.
>
> However, with either test I can see some obvious pixilation and the
> image is much less clear than playing without the skiploopfilter.
> It seems odd to me that forcing multiple cpu usage causes the issue
> to manifest itself sooner, if at all.

But that's kind of the point. Default options provide the best image
quality (generally), the options you've specified there make the
decoding process quicker, but lower quality.

MPEG-4 requires a *lot* of CPU power to decode in software. I'm not 100%
sure, but I don't think even an Athlon X2 5600+ (like you've got) would
be able to do it at 1080p with full-quality options...

I pray for the day PureVideo/Avivo (or equivalent) becomes available on
Linux :-)

Dean.