[mythtv-users] Is this beefy machine really not enough to drive HD at 1080p?

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:28:32 UTC 2008

>  Well, I'm not happy about it, but I can live knowing that it is
>  difficult for even the big dogs to decode 1080p ;)
>
>  Generally speaking, how much difference would there be trying to
>  decode 1080i compared to 1080p?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Scott

well think about it, twice the framerate=twice as many frames to
decode, and that's not taking into account that x264 takes a lot more
cpu cycles to decode than mpeg2 so i don't think you're experience is
that far off.  i have no problem decoding the mpeg2 1080p streams
which are in the wild for testing on an x2 5400+ but i don't believe
i've ever tried to decode an x264 1080p stream so ymmv!