[mythtv-users] LCD tv setup over component video.

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 8 11:13:39 UTC 2008

Nicholas Magers wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I will look into the previous discussions on 'blue' output . I forgot to
> mention that I was attempting to adjust the resolution through the
> nvidia display manager. It recognises the tv model as tv-0 when using
> the component connection and the highest resolution setting available is
> 1024x768. If I connect via the VGA connection the TV is recognised as a
> dv321 with the capability to run at 1366x768 but it is still not
> perfect.
>
> My assumption is that the best quality input is via the component
> connection hence why I am attempting to work with the component
> connection.

VGA and component should not make much difference in picture quality.
Through the component input most TVs expect a HDTV compatible signal
(1280x720 or 1920x1080i at 50 or 60 Hz) and not PC related resolutions.
They also tend to have overscan on the component and HDMI inputs. I am
running a NVidia card from DVI to HDMI on my Samsung LCD TV (native
1368x768) and it does only 1280x720 at 50 or 60 Hz. I tweaked the
modeline to have a perfect 50 Hz framerate (Netherlands PAL) which was
not possible over VGA, so scrollers/newstickers/fast-motion now are
buttersmooth with Bob-Deinterlace. It has some overscan though and I had
to adjust the menu positions.

Gert