[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

lemongecko at gmail.com lemongecko at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:55:55 UTC 2008

On 4/8/08, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:

> That is quite unfortunate.  Perhaps is Hauppauge understood how many
> addition units it would sell if they included Linux support.  Perhaps
> they are not concerned about that.

I don't know if that's such a bad thing. They're not being obstinate,
and other Hauppauge products have seen great support through the
efforts of the IVTV crew. Whether or not the IVTV guys get much help
from Hauppauge, I don't know. I DO know that most vendor-drivers tend
to have a high amount of suck, and updates are usually few and far
between.  Since we ARE a minority to them, I would be surprised if we
would get one new update for every 5 that the Windows drivers would
get. And it'd probably only be delivered in a binary RPM format that
would work with 3 or 4 kernel revisions.

While it might take longer (and as long as Hauppauge isn't hiding all
the clever bits from the linux devs), I think we'll be in better hands
from an ongoing driver improvement standpoint.