[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:27:16 UTC 2008

>  >>
>  > See, that teenager?  Yeah, they broke the law.  Same goes with those
>  > computer users.  The fact is, while I don't like the tactics of the
>  > RIAA/MPAA, many of those being sued probably *did*, in fact, break
>  > copyright law.  You may not like those laws.  You may not like the
>  > punishments associated with them.  But they *are* the law.
>
>  We're getting too OT here, but in the recent case in Oklahoma the RIAA
>  was shown to have known that the defendant was in fact not the guilty
>  party, yet they continued in their action.
>
>  I certainly do not condone breaking the law, but neither do I condone
>  harassing people who have not broken it.

Yes, but (and to bring this sorta maybe kinda back on topic? :), there
was at least a legal basis.  ie, there was a claim of copyright
infringement, which means an existing law was broken, and on that
basis, they sued.  As for their continuing to sue, well, I can't speak
to that.  But there was a legal basis for the initial action.

But, to repeat myself once more, there is *no* legal basis for any
action against Hauppauge.  None.  So all this talk of the industry
somehow quashing these devices is just, in my mind, pointless fearing
mongering.  That's not to say it's a deliberate, malicious attempt to
scare people.  I just think people have gotten wildly paranoid
regarding the MPAA/RIAA that they're seemingly willing to believe the
MPAA/RIAA can and will do anything they like to stop any product that
would damage their business model, even if there is no legal basis for
doing so.

Now, if Congress goes and passes a law making component capture
devices illegal, then you may have a problem (and it's worth noting
that Hauppauge may be obligated to apply Macrovision to their output
under certain circumstances, and if they don't, *then* they may be in
some legal trouble).  But until then, I see little reason to worry.

Brett.