[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:39:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 9:28 AM, William Munson
>  >  <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:
> >  >  This is the very reason that we are all holding our breath on the new
>  >  >  hd-pvr card. I have one local hd station (ABC) that will not record over
>  >  >  firewire. Contacted the station manager and was told that they requested
>  >  >  this themselves because  they are  "worried about people stealing the
>  >  >  shows and  putting them on the internet". Will be interesting to see
>  >  >  what happens after the release of the hd-pvr. I suspect there will be
>  >  >  lawsuits flying so get yours before Hauppauge is forced to pull the
>  >  >  product. Should be an interesting lawsuit since the component outputs
>  >  >  are analog and should fall into the "analog hole" in the law.
>  >
>  >  the funny thing about the ABC situation is that cable companies by law
>  >  have to transmit the signal in the free on their cable lines which can
>  >  then be tuned with a QAM tuner. So their little firewire thing is
>  >  really meaningless in regards to "pirating" their stuff. not to
>  >  mention it can be obtained OTA in similar fashion for those with an
>  >  ability to grab the signal.
>
>  I almost can't believe that ABC would request that of the cable
>  company...that's patently absurd.  I guess the entire industry thinks
>  nobody owns an antenna??

I think they figure anyone that matters gets cable.

>  As far as the "must carry" and "in the clear" laws...has anyone ever
>  verified that those actually apply to the new HD stations?  They
>  certainly should, but it seems there's been a great deal of debate
>  about it, and I've yet to hear any definitive answer.  You'd think
>  that after 2/2009, when the HD stations are all that's available over
>  the air, that the cable cos would have to provide those in the
>  clear...then again, I'm making the rash assumption that the FCC is
>  actually working for the public rather than the broadcast industry...
>
>  Didn't someone on the list here complain to the FCC about encrypted
>  local HD networks at one point?  Seems to me they got little more than
>  a run-around.

I did, about 6-8months ago. The FCC requirements are that all analog
broadcast signals to be transmitted on cable lines "as-is".  The
official interpretation of this for when HDTV was being added to the
mix was that while the information being sent may be digital the
broadcast is still technically analog and so the law still applies to
broadcast HDTV.

>  God...I'm glad I use nothing but OTA.

I'm not, I'd only be able to watch about 1/20th of what I want to watch...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!