[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

Greg Oliver greg.oliver at cistera.com
Tue Apr 8 21:17:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 14:02 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
> >> Do you know if that includes stations that the cable company hasn't
> >> carried in the past, but have started to? e.g. independent stations.
> >>
> >> Or put another way, are they *required* to carry ALL OTA stations?
> >
> > Assuming it is a "significantly viewed" local station, the station has
> > two options:
> >
> > They can insist that the cable company carry their signal, and the
> > cable company must comply (there are exceptions for systems with
> > limited channel capacity, which is very few today).
> >
> > They can require the cable company to pay a fee to the station in
> > order to carry their signal, which the cable system is then free to
> > not do.
> >
> > Generally smaller independent stations choose the first option, and
> > major network affiliates go for the second.
> >
> > beww
>
> DirecTV gets around this by allowing you to hook up an antenna to your
> STB and tune HD OTA channels with it. I'm not sure if this applies to
> cable as well. That's not to say they don't carry local HD stations as
> many satellite companies do, but the OTA Antenna is always an option on
> their boxes.
>
> -Brad

DirecTV gets away with it because they are not regulated the same way as
cable by the  FCC..  There are 0 requirements for them to provide
locals.  In fact, back in their early days, they could *not* provide
locals unless you had poor OTA coverage..

I have yet to find a digital cable box that had menus I like, so I have
always been satellite since it's inception - that's why I can't wait for
the component capture devices...