[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 9 01:34:59 UTC 2008

On 04/08/2008 12:28 PM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>>  pirates.  The first thing my parents and in-laws did when I showed them the
>>  mythbox I set up was ask "and it's legal?!" in a very incredulous manner.  I
>>
> And I find this incredibly bizarre.  I mean, sure, if you've never
> seen a PVR before, I can see how one might be ignorant of the legality
> of these things.  But PVRs are *everywhere* these days.  And Myth is
> just another PVR.  As such, I strongly suspect the reaction of your
> parents was atypical  (speaking for myself, I've never had anyone ask
> me if my Myth system is legal).

But how can it be legal if you didn't buy it from your cable company?
How can it be legal if it didn't come from a reputable big-box store,
like Best Buy or Circuit City or ...  How can it be legal if you built
it from parts?  How can it be legal if you did more than just take it
out of a cardboard box and plug it in?  How can it be legal if it offers
so much more functionality than TiVo or cable-company DVR's?

And the kicker:  how can it be legal if you don't pay a cent for your
(OTA-only) TV service.

I've actually been asked all of the above (not in exactly those words,
but...).

Mike