[mythtv-users] Playback too fast

Denis Souza denis.souza at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 01:40:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a mythbuntu instalation on a VIA CN700 system with mythtv 0.21.

Mythtv runs fine. Everything works well except for one thing. Whenever I try
to play back anything (mpeg2 recordings, divx movies, etc.) it plays back
very fast. When I use live TV it buffers for a few seconds and plays it back
fast and keeps doing it forever.

I googled this problem and all I found were people who had the problem and
fixed by changing a simple setting such as "Use video as time base"  or
"OpenGL vsync". I also found some posts from people who fixed it by tweaking
alsa settings for digital sound output. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since
I'm using analog everything, I don't think it's my case. Besides, MP3
playback works perfectly.

I've tried all kinds of different configurations in the tv playback
settings. They either make things go very fast or very slow. Particularly
when I use any 2x de-interlacing method, the CPU can't keep up.

Note that when I play back any recordings, divx movies or anything else
using some other video playback software such as mplayer or xine, it works
fine.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

Denis