[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 9 04:55:52 UTC 2008

Conrad wrote:
> Does one have a choice as far as the boxes are concerned?  When
> ordering, can I request a box that can be controlled via the serial
> port, keeping in mind that I want/need a HD box.

They do not support controlling a box with a serial port, but it just
happens to work. So no, you can't request one that does that. I
currently use D11's which work great. The H20 is listed as working on
the wiki. I'm not sure what they give you, but I'm getting 2 on Saturday
so I'll have to figure out if it works or not, too.

You can just goto Best Buy or wherever and buy an H20 box yourself so
you don't have to take the chance. If the ones I get on Saturday don't
work for me, I'll return them and buy H20's.

-Brad