[mythtv-users] firewire/comcast/motorolla DHC3200

William Munson william_munson at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 09:41:31 UTC 2008

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> So, from reading the archives, it seems that people haven't been able to
> talk to it through firewire yet.
> That said, before I put more effort into it, I was curious if I would even
> get anything useful through it:
> can I record encrypted channels that I otherwise cannot get as analog or
> unencrypted HD channels?
>
> If the DCH3200 can't be made to work, is there a recommended IR blaster I
> can use to just record encrypted channels though svideo out?
> (right now, I still get Sci-Fi via analog cable, but I'm told it'll go
> digital soon, at which point I'd be dead in the water)

I am afraid you have some mis-information. Comcrap will continue to
broadcast analog tv via cable after the switchover so your channels are
not going to go away. They are likely to want to force you to rent a STB
just to increase their profits but they are going to continue to send
analog tv for quite a while. It's only over the air tv that will change
to free up spectrum for other profitable users.

As far at the blaster, check the archives and you will find several
suppliers of serial port ir blasters that are supported by lirc.