[mythtv-users] firewire/comcast/motorolla DHC3200

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 14:23:44 UTC 2008

Hi Marc,

> So, from reading the archives, it seems that people haven't been able to
> talk to it through firewire yet.
> That said, before I put more effort into it, I was curious if I would even
> get anything useful through it:
> can I record encrypted channels that I otherwise cannot get as analog or
> unencrypted HD channels?

> If the DCH3200 can't be made to work, is there a recommended IR blaster I
> can use to just record encrypted channels though svideo out?
> (right now, I still get Sci-Fi via analog cable, but I'm told it'll go
> digital soon, at which point I'd be dead in the water)

I've got a DCH-3200 hooked up via FireWire from Comcast (in 94403).  Channel
changes and captures work fine.  I just plugged it in and away it went.
Well, there was a bit more work for 0.20.2, but in 0.21 it's pretty simple.
(I do run into the occasional issue with tuning due to what is likely a
kernel module bug that's been fixed but posssibly not back ported to CentOS
5.1 yet.)

You won't be able to record encrypted channels, though.  But, I get most of
the SD channels unencrypted.  Most of the HD ones are unencrypted, too, but
the encryption seems to get activated for some programs (not necessarily the
entire channel).  I have a HD HomeRun as a primary to record broadcast
channels (via QAM).  I've ordered the new Hauppauge device to cover the HD
channels that I pay for that are encrypted, though.

Jason