[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:29:00 UTC 2008

hey all,

i've been given the 'ok' from the CFO to upgrade our 10yo CRT to a
modern day LCD HDTV.
currently, 95% of what we watch is SD content captured by Myth.  the
other 5% is DVD and Internet content.  i know that a lot of the
earlier HDTV's really struggled to make SD video watchable.  is that
still the case?

aside from brands/models of LCD's to look at, do you have any content
suggestions?  most of the retailers either have a dedicated HD feed
that they loop or some other high end signal to show off the maximum
picture the sets can possibly display.  of course, these signals are
rarely real world examples.  i'm in the process of putting together a
small library of content that i'll be taking to various retailers to
view on various screens.  at the moment i'm planning on taking a
couple captures from my PVR-500 via Myth on my MacBook Pro to play
with mplayer or VLC on the HDTV's.  i may take a DVD or two, but
depending on the dvd player used, that kinda skews the results as
well.  are there any other tests/data sets that anyone thinks should
be covered?  i may also download 'Elephants Dream' in a couple
different formats/resolutions so i have some HD content.

the LCD's we'll be looking at will be in the 52"-60" range :D doubling
our current display.
a couple that i've done preliminary research on via the web:
Samsung LN52A550P 52-inch 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $2,328.76
Sharp Aquos LC52D64U 52-inch 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $2,149.06
Sony Bravia XBR KDL-52XBR4 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $2,919.96
Toshiba REGZA 52RV530U 52-inch 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $1,949.00 - Not Energy
Star Compliant
Mitsubishi LT-52144 52-inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV ~ $2149.77 - Not
Energy Star Compliant
Westinghouse TX-52F480S 52" 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $1699.99 - Not Energy
Star Compliant

i will be overhauling the MythBox as well to 'support' this new tv.
an HDHR will be thrown into the mix and i'm seriously eying the new
Hauppauge HD capture device.  my current MythBox will be retired to a
development/test box and may be used to help out with
CommFlagging/Transcoding, etc.  the /new/ MythBox will be connected to
my AVR with HDMI for the video and digital optical via
SPDIF/pass-through for audio.  (current MythBox is connected to the
AVR via S-Video and sound card analog out stereo jack)

TIA for any help/suggestions

--
Andrew Close