[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:41:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey all,
>
>  i've been given the 'ok' from the CFO to upgrade our 10yo CRT to a
>  modern day LCD HDTV.
>  currently, 95% of what we watch is SD content captured by Myth.  the
>  other 5% is DVD and Internet content.

That would be me as well.

> i know that a lot of the
>  earlier HDTV's really struggled to make SD video watchable.  is that
>  still the case?

I can't offer an informed opinion.

>  Sharp Aquos LC52D64U 52-inch 1080p LCD HDTV ~ $2,149.06

Every Sharp I have seen scales SD horribly.
My buddy just got one < 1 year old and it looks like crap.

I bought a Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7422D/37) and have been
exceptionally happy with it's SD display.

When I was looking for these, I created a DVD out of my most commonly
watched TV and made them play it for me.  So he had to move the DVD
Player from TV to TV.  I think that would be worth your while and his
pain :-)

HTH,
Dave