[mythtv-users] Lineup changes coming

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 02:18:36 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I saw a message from Comcast today that some lineup changes are going
> into effect this Saturday.  From the link they mentioned here
> (http://www.comcastbignews.com/southjersey/), it looks like alot of
> channels are moving around, and we're getting some more HD channels
> (which is nice).  So, my questions are this:
> 1) I imagine that I need to keep an eye on my SchedulesDirect lineup and
> see if/when it gets updated, since most of my channels are in the 2-99
> analog range.  Since alot of these are moving around, will it be a while
> before SD catches up?

I'm not sure how long it takes them to react to changes like that (my
guess is not long), but once SchedulesDirect receives the lineup
changes, you'll get them the next time mythfilldatabase runs. I could be
wrong, but for analog channels I don't think you'll have to do anything
unless new ones are added or are changed to channel numbers that your
database doesn't currently have (e.g., what was on channel 55 gets moved
to channel 97 when you had no channel 97 before).

> 2) Since some new HD channels are coming online, will I have to rescan
> my channels and go thru the process of editing what I get/want with the
> channel editor all over again, or is there an easier way?

Did they give any indication as to whether these "new HD channels" would
be transmitted in the clear? If they're going to be encrypted like 99%
of the channels (judging by the new ones they say you'll be getting on
that page I would bet they will be) then it doesn't really matter :) If
they are unencrypted, thus usable by you, then yes, you'll have to
rescan; Myth only knows about a channel if it's stored in the database,
which happens only if you run the channel scanner. OTOH, if they can
give you an idea of what mux/frequency these new HD channels will be on
then you'll only have to scan that one (or few, whatever) frequency(ies).

> Thanks for any help.  This is the first time my lineups have changed
> since I started using Myth, so I'm not really sure what to expect.
> Harry

I think the biggest problem would be if for the digital lineup they
changed the mux & pid to channel mappings (e.g., let's say FOX is
603MHz, PIDs 2048&2049, but then moves to a different frequency or
something). Then you'd basically have to delete the channels that moved
around and do a rescan. I could be wrong on that though...maybe someone
else can chime in about this...

Cheers,
Jesse Burt